How to Join
It's Easy to Join!
Ashland Food Co-op is a consumer cooperative that operates for the benefit of our owners. It’s simple to own your share of the Co-op. Just make a one-time, refundable equity investment of $100. You may pay in full or make an initial $10 payment! You'll be reminded at the register when another quarterly $10 payment is due until your $100 equity purchase is paid. In return, the Co-op pledges to operate for the long-term health of our community. Unlike most businesses that make decisions primarily to maximize profits, cooperatives make decisions to maximize service to their owners and the community.
Simply complete an owner application at the Information Desk! Your $100 equity investment is refundable if you cancel your ownership, and as soon as replacement equity is available. As soon as you make your first equity payment, you'll begin receiving benefits that apply to you and your household:
While anyone can shop at the Co-op, as an owner you qualify for some unique benefits. The current owner benefits are as follows.
- Receive Our Newsletters: The Co-op's newsletter is mailed to your household every two months to keep you up to date about the Co-op and health and food related issues.
- Receive "Owner Only" Coupons: Your newsletter will contain special coupons that currently give you $5 off a purchase of $25 or more.
- Enjoy Additional Discounts: We appreciate your patronage and reward you with a special Owner Appreciation Coupon that gives you 10% off any one purchase during the designated 2 month period. The coupon will come inside your newsletter 3 times a year.
- Discount on Gift Cards: Owners recieve a discount of $3 off per $100 when purchasing AFC gift cards with cash or check.
- Share the Profit: Co-op owners receive a portion of the Co-op's profit through Patronage Refunds. Patronage Refunds are distributed to owners in proportion to your purchases and are mailed in June. The more you shop at the Co-op, the more profit you’ll get back.
- Take Part in the Co-op's Governance: Owners democratically participate in the co-op by voting in elections, holding office, and joining committees. Only owners can run for elected board positions.