Enjoy the bright flavor combinations in this unique vegan salad! You don't have to be vegan to enjoy it by the way!
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
12 ounces tempeh cut into ½ inch cubes
3 tablespoons dill pickle juice
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons tamari
2 ribs celery diced
¼ cup red onion diced
2 tablespoons parsley finely chopped
2 tablespoons dill pickle chopped
½ cup mayonnaise or veganaise
1 teaspoon mustard
2 small cloves garlic minced
1-2 tablespoons pickle juice
1 tablespoon tamari
¼ cup walnuts roasted and chopped* (optional)
- Heat the oil in a medium size skillet. Add the tempeh, and brown on a couple sides.
- Combine the pickle juice, water, and tamari. Pour over the cooking tempeh. Continue to sauté until all the liquid is absorbed. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the celery, onion, parsley, and pickle. Add the tempeh.
- Whisk the mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, pickle juice, and tamari together. Fold into the salad. Add the walnuts and fold again.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce or spinach.
* Note: To roast the nuts, place on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 7 minutes.