- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon unbleached white flour
- ¼ cup corn or potato starch
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon each ground allspice, black pepper, star anise and ginger
- ½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- ¾ cup cane sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- Strawberries, blueberries or raspberries
- Crème Fraiche
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour a 9 inch cake pan.
- Sift the flour, starch salt, leavenings and spices together into a medium bowl.
- Beat the butter in a large bowl until fluffy. Gradually add the sugar, beating until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla and continue to beat until the mixture is creamy.
- Add the flour mixture in four additions alternately with the buttermilk in three additions. Scrape down the bowl occasionally.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan on a cooling rack.
- Cut around the pan sides. Turn the cake out onto the rack and turn right side up onto a platter. Cut into servings, top with berries and a dollop of crème fraiche.