Bhutanese Rice with Roasted Hazelnuts
Zest of one orange
1 Cup Bhutanese rice uncooked
Juice of one orange plus water
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 Small yellow onion diced
2 Stalks celery diced
1 Clove garlic minced
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ Cup Oregon Orchard hazelnuts
1/3 Cup dried cranberries
1 small tart apple diced into ½ inch pieces
½ Cup fresh dill minced
Black pepper to taste
- Set orange zest aside.
- Wash the rice drain and place in a pot. Add the orange juice and enough water to equal 1 ½ cups. Bring to a boil reduce the heat cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a skillet add the onion then the celery. Next add the garlic continuing to sauté until the onion is translucent. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Roast the nuts in a 350 degree oven for about 7 minutes. Chop coarsely.
- Put the rice in a large bowl. Add the vegetables nuts cranberries and apples. Toss well.
- Serve with turkey chicken or tofu.