Winter Quinoa Salad
1 cup quinoa
½ cup walnuts
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
Zest of one lemon
3 tablespoons lemon juice
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons parsley chopped
2 tablespoons marjoram or bail chopped
1 clove garlic minced
2 tablespoons red onion diced
¼ cup Kalamata olives chopped
1 tart apple chopped (optional)
2 cups red cabbage finely chopped or shredded
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash and dry toast the quinoa. Bring 8 cups of water to a boil in a soup pot. Add the toasted grain and cook uncovered until the grain is cooked and you can see the white ring around the perimeter of the grain.
- Drain through a strainer and let sit until room temperature.
- In a large serving bowl whisk together the oil vinegar zest lemon juice and salt.
- Stir the fresh herbs garlic and red onion into the dressing.
- Fold in the remaining ingredients.
- Serve at room temperature with steamed fish or black beans. The salad is delicious with ¼ to ½ cup crumbled feta cheese.