- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pound ham or 4 slices lean bacon
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 cup farro
- 1/2 pound Savoy cabbage, chopped coarsely
- 2 medium carrots, cut into quarter rounds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 quarts chicken stock or water
- Grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Heat the oil in a soup pot, add the bacon or ham, and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic, parsley, and rosemary and cook until the onions are transparent.
- Add the faro, cabbage, and carrots. Stir and sauté another 5 minutes or so.
- Add the stock and bring to a simmer. Continue to cook uncovered at a simmer for about 40 minutes or until the farro is tender.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings. Serve with a garnish of the cheese and a sprinkle of parsley.